Details About the New Apple iPhone X Just Leaked (and They’re Pretty Amazing)
The new Apple iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X are just around the corner. Steve Jobs would be proud.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images
Over the weekend, details leaked about the new versions of the iPhone set to be officially announced by Apple at its big reveal on Tuesday at the Steve Jobs Theater on the company's shiny new campus in Cupertino. Although many industry observers anticipated that iPhone 8 and 8 Plus would replace the current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, no one anticipated the release of an even higher-level device: the iPhone X.
Apple is not publicly commenting, but here are some features that we can look forward to in these new, cutting edge phones according to the leaks.
- No home button. That little button at the bottom of the screen that we've gotten so used to pushing (virtually in iPhone 7) will be banished entirely in the new iPhones. Instead, the front of the iPhone will be all screen, with no buttons to push, virtually or not.
- Face ID. This facial recognition feature is expected to replace the current Touch ID fingerprint recognition system for opening and using your iPhone.
- Animated emojis. In case regular, old emojis aren't enough for you yet, there is expected to be a new collection of animated ones to express yourself with.
- Wireless charging is supported. While this one is a bit iffy, there's a good chance that a wire will no longer be required to charge your new iPhone X. Apple Watch has supported wireless charging since the beginning. Now it's iPhone's turn.
- Faster processor. The new iPhones will have the brand-new Apple A11 processor on board, with 6 cores (two high-power Monsoon cores, and four low-power Mistral cores) for faster processing.
- Better cameras. According to the leaks, the new iPhones will support 4K video at 60 frames per second (FPS), and 1080p video at 240 FPS. There is expected to be a 7 megapixel selfie camera on the front of the new iPhones, with one 12-megapixel camera on the back--maybe two.
- New portrait lighting feature. This will provide many new flash options for taking photos, such as "Stage Light," "Contour Light," and "Studio Light."
- New wallpapers. A new set of wallpapers that take advantage of the new 5.8-inch OLED display is expected to be unveiled, including floral images, rainbows, and planetary images.
While some of these leaked predictions may turn out to be off base, we'll soon find out when the new line of iPhones -- the most expensive by far -- are introduced to the public on Tuesday.