11 Inspiring Quotes About the Remarkable Power of Being Assertive
Never be passive or aggressive again. These quotes will inspire you to express yourself powerfully and authentically.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images
Not everything you want will be handed to you. Sometimes, you have to go out and get it. And if you want major success -- you will have to be assertive.
Being assertive means you know how to communicate what you want in a clear and respectful manner. It means you are not afraid of speaking your mind, and you highly value expressing yourself in authentic and powerful ways. When you are effectively assertive, you are neither aggressive nor passive -- instead you are honest, direct, and skilled at articulating your views.
To better understand the power of being assertive, here are some wise words on what it means to be assertive in your goals, career, and life in general.
- "The duty we owe ourselves is greater than that we owe others." Louisa May Alcott
- "If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu." Elizabeth Warren
- "To be passive is to let others decide for you. To be aggressive is to decide for others. To be assertive is to decide for yourself. And to trust that there is enough, that you are enough." Edith Eva Eger
- "Never retreat. Never explain. Get it done and let them howl." Benjamin Jowett
- "Once you have a major success with assertiveness, you learn that it's a much healthier path than being a doormat to the insensitive folks. You gain respect for yourself, have more time for your priorities, and develop authentic and healthier relationships." Doreen Virtue
- "The best gifts are never given, but claimed." Warren Ellis
- "I think naturally, if you're an actor, there's a high level of assertiveness that you need to have to survive this business. There's boldness in being assertive, and there's strength and confidence." Bryan Cranston
- "It is a mistake to look at someone who is self assertive and say, 'It's easy for her, she has good self-esteem.' One of the ways you build self-esteem is by being self-assertive when it is not easy to do so. There are always times when self-assertiveness requires courage, no matter how high your self-esteem." Nathaniel Branden
- "The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything." Warren Buffett
- "Assertiveness is not what you do, it's who you are!" Shakti Gawain
- "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
BY Entrepreneurs Organization